Thursday, November 13, 2008

Bollywood is Happier.

I watched half of Singh is Kinng last night, which no lie, is remarkably idiotic.* But this morning on the train I found myself thinking, How is it that I like Bollywood so much better than Hollywood?

Bollywood is...happier.

That's what makes it so endearing. It lacks the cynicism of the hopes and dreams of a thousand atheists--it's Hollywood counterpart. And that's what makes Jab We Met so perfect. An absolutely cynical character gets cured of melancholy by a few songs, some dancing, a series of idiotic mishaps and of course, a girl. What could possibly be more pleasant?


*I won't hold back, I think it was the most widely stereotypical display I've seen in years. If I see Akshay Kumar play another 'dumb as dirt, strong as an ox' Punjabi boy, I might have to slap someone. And then there were all the black people used as props. Robbing people in Egypt, running gangs in Australia, getting the crap beat out of them, and my absolute favorite, completely destitute and living seven to a camping trailer on the outer limits of town. Wow. As if I hadn't lost enough IQ points by the end of the film, Snoop Dog pops out in a turban during the credits. (And why wouldn't he? This is what he does in his spare time.) And yet, somehow, if I had to be locked in a room with this or 70% of the films that have won Oscars the last few times around, I'll take "Utter Buffoonery" for $300, Alex.

8 comments:

Karen said...

Because Snoop Dogg is in that movie I have no desire to see it. But I agree, I like Bollywood because it's happy, I'm fan of musicals and India is such a cool place.

p.s. Check out my new film blog at http://reelartsy.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Well I haven't seen Singh is King but I do think there is sometimes stereotypes in Bollywood about westerners and black people are sometimes misrepresented but it is not that bad and Bollywood beats Hollywood any day of the week. Bollywood stories make you happy and want to get up in the morning while a lot of Hollywood movies have you running for the Prozac. Bollywood wins any day!!

kage said...

i like the cynicism... :)
what drives me mad is incessant detachment from reality. i'm all for inspirational and aspirational fare, trust me I am. I'm still a sucker (at times) for a "believe in yourself" movie from Disney or Dreamworks or an "Invincible". But when stories and characters take leave of their senses as in "Alone in the Dark", "Hostage" it drives me mad.

Similarly in Bollywood, I adore fare such as "Rang De Basanti" or "Lakshya", but "Welcome" would make me cringe. but that's just my spiel... what do i know :) and ya, a little escapism hurts no one.

kage said...

@SolShine7 wats wrong with Snoop? Without him we wouldn't have this desi inspired version at all!

"do the dandia, and dance like a bobble head". LOL.

let me know if you need the lyrics ;)

Migi Mega Entertainment said...

"I was asshamed when i saw my shoes till i have seen another person having no feet". A great thing.

Everyone is interested in going to heaven, but till now I have found none who wants to die.

Best free Softwares said...

There are three sides to any argument: your side, my side and the right side.
Where there is a will, there is a way to hundreds of relatives and friends.

Sanam Ali khan said...

Till now i have found that only 2 things are infinite:
The Universe
Human Stupidity
The advantage of exercising every day is that you will die as a healthy.

Niranjan Actor said...

Happier ending is an important fact in Bollywood movies and each & every have it.